Monday, September 19, 2011

Great Posts to Check Out!

I have a confession to make - I am pretty much addicted to reading blogs and articles related to health, fitness, rehab, sports performance, etc.  I have tried to cut down the list that I read from, but it is still pretty long, and if I see something on Facebook that someone else has posted, I usually check it out.  That said, there are not many days that go by that I do not read multiple blog posts and articles.  So I want to share with you some good reads that I have come across recently.  I know many other blogs already have similar posts (Ben Bruno does an awesome job at this), but I am going to keep my list short and only post these when I find really good stuff.

1)  My good friend, Eric Oetter, recently wrote his first article on Joel Jamieson's site, 8weeksout.com, titled:


In it, Eric reviews an article that looked at the effectiveness of concurrently training for hypertrophy and aerobic endurance.  Eric is super smart and an even nicer guy.  Keep on the lookout for his stuff because I know he is going to do great things.

2)  As many of you know, I am a huge fan of Joel Jamieson and his site.  He has a great understanding of how to plan the training process, which, unfortunately, is often mismanaged.  In the following article, Joel explains the benefits of performing LSD (long, slow distance) training and why HIIT alone is not enough to get an athlete to a great level of conditioning.  He mainly talks about how this applies to fighters, but it is also relevant to a lot of other sports. 


3)  I have recently become a big fan of the Turkish Get Up.  It is amazing how many qualities you train when you perform this movement.  Neghar Fonooni and Joe Sansalone came out with a 3-part video series on how to perform the Turkish Get Up, along with common mistakes and fixes.  If you are interested in improving you or your clients' form or have never performed the movement before there are some helpful tips in these videos.



4)  The following article by Charlie Weingroff is somewhat old, but it is very good and covers a topic that I see a lot training others-instability at the T-L junction.  Many people want to, or have been coached to, stabilize with passive structures, especially at the T-L junction.  Who has not been told to, "Arch your low back hard," which I cannot stand?!  This often leads to problems as Charlie discusses.


5)  I love reading Dan John!  I am currently reading Easy Strength by him and Pavel Tsatsouline, and I cannot put the book down.  While I do not always agree with everything Dan John says, there are always great things I take away from anything he puts out.  The following 2-part series covers some lessons he has learned over his years coaching and training.  Everything he says seems so simple and obvious, but often times, we forget about it.



Have a great week everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment