Monday, August 8, 2011

The Big Move, The IYCA, and My Current Reading List


Hope everyone had a great weekend!  I had a good but crazy busy weekend!   For those of you who do not know, IFAST just expanded into a new facility that is over twice the size.  In fact, today (Monday) is the first day in the new facility.  Therefore, this past Saturday we moved all of the stuff from our old space into the new one.  It was a big job to say the least!  I am still smoked!



Anyway, I am very happy that we were able to do this and feel blessed to work for such an awesome gym!  In fact, this month marks one year since I was hired full-time at IFAST.  To say I have learned a ton would be an understatement!  I would have never guessed I would be working for Bill Hartman and Mike Robertson a couple of years ago.  I still remember the first time I met them and felt like they were superstars!  I was so nervous!  Now I feel very close to both of them and know they are always willing to help me out.  Therefore, I want to say a huge thanks to Mike Robertson and Bill Hartman for an awesome past year and for helping me get where I am today!!

Secondly, I was at the International Youth Conditioning Association’s Summit held in Louisville, Kentucky two weekends ago.  This is the first time I have been to an event held by the IYCA, and I have to say that this may have been the nicest and most passionate group of people I have ever been around.  Their passion and enthusiasm was so contagious!  When I got home I had a ton of ideas and had to perform a big brain dump.  Each person there cares greatly about what they do (helping kids) and are extremely willing to help you with any questions or concerns you might have.  The summit also had great speakers including Mike Robertson, Eric Cressey, Sue Falsone, Brian Grasso, Pat Rigsby, and many more.  Needless to say, I definitely plan on heading to more of their events in the future, and I highly recommend checking out their stuff if you work with youth at all.
 

 Lastly, I wanted to provide you all with a glimpse of what I am learning right now.  Here is a list of books/DVDs I am currently going through:

Jozef Drabik's Children and Sports Training: How Your Future Champions Should Exercise to be Healthy, Fit, and Happy (I am programming for more young athletes now so I want to learn as much as I can about proper training and stages of youth development.  This book is supposed to be one of the best on this topic.)

Dan John's new DVD set, Intervention (huge Dan John fan and so far this product is awesome!  I think I could listen to Dan John for hours.)

Transfer of Training DVD set (This one is largely for my own enjoyment.  I know, I know, I am a nerd. :)  I do hope that I can use this knowledge more in the future, but for now, it is just a topic I greatly enjoy learning about.)

Assessment and Treatment of Muscle Imbalance: The Janda Approach (haven't gotten too far into this one, but I have heard great things about it.)

What are you all learning about and what resources are you using?  

Hope everyone has a great week!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment