Monday, February 14, 2011

Random Thoughts, Updates, and some Cardio Fun


Hope everyone had a great weekend!  Unfortunately, I was sick all week so I was not able to put together a lot of stuff for you guys for today.



Therefore, I am going to post some quick random thoughts, updates, and a little circuit I wrote for my girlfriend a while back.
1.     I have decided to attend a USA weightlifiting course March 12-13 to get certified as a level 1 coach.  I have heard that they put on a great course, and I need to improve my coaching skills on some of these lifts.  We are getting more athletes at IFAST that are working on some variation of the Olympic lifts.

2.     Since I am going to be attending the USAW course, I have been thinking a lot about how I can perform the clean with only one arm.  I have been playing around with it a little this past week since I was sick and could not stick to my normal lifting routine.  Here is a video below of my first day trying it out.  Not too bad, but I definitely need to work on it.





3.     A few posts ago I listed some of my professional and fitness goals.  After a little
over a month, I feel like I am on a good track to accomplish all of them.
- Squat and deadlift are both up. 
-The Saturday before I got sick I was 169.8 (up 4.8 pounds), but after my week of illness, I am back down to 165.6.  I will get it back up! :)
-I have attended one seminar.
-I read Block Periodization and watched Charlie Weingroff’s DVD and Mike Robertson’s DVD that will be coming out soon (I know I am forgetting one other thing, but that is over my goal of two for the month).
-I have taken on some new clients at IFAST.

4.     It was over 50 degrees here on Sunday and is supposed to stay warm for a while!!  That is awesome!  I enjoy snow for a while so I can go snowboarding a couple of times (I used to go like everyday in high school), but after that, I am done with it.  This winter has been a little much.  I am definitely ready for some warmth.  I am ready to pull the sled and push the prowler... I am sure that desire will end really quickly! :)



5.     Below is a circuit that I originally wrote for my girlfriend to do as energy systems work either after her strength training workout or on her off days.  She does not like doing similar things over and over - she gets bored very easily - so this circuit is nice in that it uses multiple exercises and can easily be modified by switching exercises in and out.  I hope you all enjoy it as much as she does!  ;)  Believe me, this one gets your heart pumping!

1A) KB Swings x 12, rest for rest of min.
1B) Burpees (video below)** x10, rest for rest of min.
repeat 3x for a total of 4 rounds then proceed to next superset
2A) KB Deadlift or Goblet Squat x10, rest for rest of min
2B) Mountain Climbers x50 , rest for rest of min.
repeat 3x for a total of 4 rounds, then proceed to next triset
3A) 2 DB Unsupported Row x10, no rest
3B) 2 DB Uppercuts (video below) x10/arm, no rest
3C) 3-Point Plank(video below)* x15s/position, no rest
repeat 3x for a total of 4 rounds

To make the rest periods easy to monitor, start the first exercise at the top of the minute.  If you have an interval timer, just set it for one-minute rounds.

The whole circuit takes roughly 20 minutes to complete.

*Start in a normal plank position and then roll into a side plank by pivoting your feet and rotating your hips and shoulders at the same time.



**I have my girlfriend perform a slightly modified burpee - it is easier on the back and knees.  I have included a video below of her demonstrating it.  Also, you’ll notice she does not jump at the end.  This is only because she has had knee pain in the past so if the jumping does not bother you then go for it.






Have a good week everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment